Monday, March 26, 2012

In the beginning

I finally decided to sit down and tell everyone of my experiences at my new job. I started work on March 15th. I had no knowledge of bikes, but I had experience in working with people and how important a customer is to the store.

I was introduced to the workings of the cash register. I am still a novice at that part of the job. It is not complicated, but it takes getting used to. I met Eva,owners wife, and James, my go to guy. When I don't know where something is or what it does I go to "James". Eva has one week more experience than I. She only works 3 days a week. I, on the other hand, work full time. Needless to say, Eva and  I will be learning together.

Tony griffin is the mechanic and the guru on the workings of a bike. He can look at a bike when it is coming in the door and tell you just what the bike needs in repairs. I would trust him to fix any bike. He is gentle, softspoken, patient and interesting to talk with. If He is not working on bikes, He helps me with the customer by explaining which bike does what. You can tell he loves the sport of biking. Quite a few customers come in just to say hi to Tony.

The atmosphere at Bikes Plus is pleasant and friendly. Everyone is helpful and cordial. When you walk in the door you feel at home. Our goal is to be near when you need help in deciding what bike is best for you or lead you to the right area for the item you are looking for. I am still learning those areas. In finding out what the customer is looking for, I am learning what goes where. So come on down and teach me where everything is. Just kidding.

Steve, one of my bosses, has had me check in merchandise and put it on the shelves so that I can get to know the store. It is an eyeopener as to what the store carries.From small to large we carry it. It is amazing how much storage the store has. There are tires and wheels hanging from the ceiling where bike repairs are kept. They have kickstands and seat extenders and all kinds of parts for bikes on the walls.

I enjoy showing people around the store and helping them choose the bike they need or want. Steve has enrolled me in an online class with Giant, one of the bike manufacturers we use. Giant and Specialized are the main manufacturers they use. When I have spare time I can go online and learn more about the bikes that are in the store. I have taken several modules in the course.It is very user friendly.

Saturday was my first day to sell a bike without anyone helping me. Of course the customer did the hard part. I was just there to have them try their bike and close the sale. I wish all the sales were that easy.

I really enjoy my job and look forward to coming to work every day. I appreciate Glen and Steve giving me the opportunity to prove myself. Most of all,.I thank God for his support and his answer to my prayers.

2 comments:

D.Lee said...

Hey was good to know what you have been doing sense left Livingston. Were home now and getting ready for Easter. Dianne & Bill

D.Lee said...

I have posted never so hope this is what to do. Glad to know what your up to sense leaving Livingston.